St. James' House

St. James’ House Open to Visitors Oct. 6 – 11

by | Dec 13, 2014 | Events

By Susan Larson

Historic St. James’ House in downtown Fredericksburg is open for touring October 6 – 11, 2014.  It’s one of only two weeks each year the private residence is opened to the public.  It is located at 1300 Charles St.

Built about 1768, it was originally home to James Mercer, a member of the Virginia House of Burgesses, first judge of the General Court in Fredericksburg, and the attorney who wrote the will for Mary Washington, according to Washington Heritage Museums.

St. James’ House is owned and operated by Washington Heritage Museums, which received the building as a gift from Preservation Virginia in January 2013.  It is opened to the public the first week of October, during Garden Week in April, and by appointment.

Visitors may tour St. James’ House from 1 – 4 p.m. Admission is $5 for adults, $2 for children 6 – 18, and free for children under 6 and for Washington Heritage Museum members.
Thank you for reading.  Follow Fredericksburg.Today on Facebook and Twitter, too.

Share This