Local Businessman’s Neck Broken in Fall

by | Jan 7, 2015 | Business

Mike Witt. Photo from the Mike Witt Recovery Fund on Giveforward.

Fredericksburg businessman Mike Witt, owner of A Cut Above Landscape and Tree Service, was badly injured Monday when a tree knocked him from a bucket truck. He was working in Richmond at the time.

His good friend Ray Milano has started a fund on Giveforward — Mike Witt Recovery Fund — to help the family with expenses, and a Facebook page — Support Mike Witt — to provide updates on Mike’s progress.

An Overview

“Mike fell 15 feet to the ground, breaking his neck and leaving him paralyzed from the neck down,” Milano said. “Mike is a Marine Vet, a very giving member of the community and as a business owner, prides himself on providing for his family. This time of year is very difficult on Mike’s business, but this winter in particular has been more difficult than any before as Mike lost his mother to brain cancer less than two months ago.

“Mike, his family and especially his two daughters have a long road ahead — both physically and emotionally — and we are hoping to relieve some of the financial burden by raising funds in his name. This will uplift Mike and allow him to focus on his road to recovery. Please help spread the word and donate if you can.

“If anyone has questions or is a member of the press, feel free to contact me directly by phone or text. Mike’s wife Yorima and I are than happy to speak with you. Ray Milano 540-834-9791.”

Mike’s January 6 Surgery

“Mike’s surgery went very well,” wrote Milano on Facebook. “From what I understood from the doctor, normally C4 overlaps the top backside of C5, in his case, C4 was positioned in front of C5. The doctor referred to it as a jumped facet. It was put back into place and some metal was added in to keep it stable.

“They are not positive about the fracture to C5 that was discussed in trauma because of the amount of swelling that occurred. A CT scan is scheduled for mid morning. As for tonight, Mike is intubated and kept under heavy sedation. Tomorrow morning they will extubate with an anesthesiologist bedside should there be any complications with him breathing on his own. Tomorrow’s CT scan and results will provide us with a lot of information on the severity of the injury. I have to say, today was good. We thank God for that. I ask that everyone keeps praying for positive results. I will keep you posted after speaking with the doctors in the morning.”


Subscribe To Daily News Updates

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news from The Free Press

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Share This